This post may contain affiliate links. Buying something through these links doesn't cost you anything and helps support Know Prepare Survive. For some light reading, check out our affiliate disclosure.
Table of Contents
Almost everyone loves to travel, roam around the world, right?
For any passionate traveler, a big problem is their backpack.
Every traveler hates to carry too much bag. You may think, for a week’s vacation, you have to carry more than one bag.
Well, it’s not wrong but if you’re going for an adventurous trip then carrying more bags is a problem.
In that case, knowing how big is a 30-liter backpack or 55-liter backpack can help you understand the total baggage requirements.
Is a 30L Backpack the Best for You?
To help you on your adventures, today we’re going to discuss the capacity of 30L backpacks.
They are perfect for traveling, hunting, emergencies, and even for hiking and trekking.
Is this true?
Yes, it is!
Many people have traveled for nine months with only a 30L backpack.
Also a 30L bag is up to 1800 cubic inches, which is considered as a medium backpack in the backpack industry.
So, let’s get started!
How Big Is a 30 Liter Backpack?
When it comes to dimension and measurement, the first thing comes to our mind is Math.
We are not that good at it.
We also guess you’re not here for a scientific lecture.
So, this isn’t going to be a harsh conversation about measurement and dimensions, but we’ll tell you everything in detail.
Before that, we have a guideline for you which will help you choose the perfect backpack.
Now before getting a backpack of 30L or more than that you’ve to consider some points. These are:
- Torso Length: After knowing your torso length, always try to get a backpack which is equal to your torso or lesser than it. Don’t get a backpack which is bigger than your torso size as it’s very uncomfortable.
- Tour Length: By “tour,” we mean how long you’ll be relying on the backpack. Always consider this factor. If you’re going away for a month, and you have a lot to carry, then you have to get something bigger. However, if you’re leaving for only a day, you don’t need a big backpack. So, always think about how many days you are traveling when deciding on a backpack.
- Items: The last and one of the most crucial point is how many items you’re carrying with you. If you pack too much for a long trip, then you may need a big backpack, but if you’re not taking too many things, then you have to go for the opposite one.
When buying the best backpack for you, you’ve to consider all these points.
So, What Are the Different 30L Backpack Sizes?
Undoubtedly, there are many 30L backpacks available with different dimensions.
Now which size backpack you should get?
Well, it entirely depends on your age, gender, and torso length.
Fun Fact: Why all the backpacks measured with liters? Well, the liter is a common term we use for measuring milk, water, etc. So, the unit “liter” easy for many people to visualize. For this reason, manufacturers measure volume in cubic inches then convert it into liters.
Generally, a 30L backpack has a length of around 19-21″ (or 48-53 cm) and width of 10-12″ (25-30 cm). They generally weigh between 2.5 and 4 pounds.
These backpacks are quite spacious too they generally have a depth of 10-12″ (27-30 cm).
So, you can quickly go on a trip of a few days with it.
The size of a typical 30L backpack is up to 1800 cubic inches.
So, it isn’t small at all. We hope we didn’t bore you with these measurements.
If you are still bored, then let’s move to something more interesting.
Related: What to Pack in Your EDC Bag
What Fits in a 30L Backpack?
To help answer this question, we’ll share a story with you.
It’s a story of our college friend Eric, who traveled to India for six months with only a 30L backpack.
According to him, he was carrying an Osprey backpack. His two favorite aspects of this backpack were:
- Its hip strap (which makes it comfortable while hiking, too)
- The bag’s suitcase-like opening and closing system
Now, Let’s See What He Carried in It:
- T-shirts: 8 sporty,quick-drying, and odor resistant t-shirts. 3 full sleeve t-shirts made for winter or cold places like Manali and Darjeeling.
- Pants: He took three jeans, two chinos, three shorts, and one jogger for a six-month tour.
- Jacket: For cold places, he carried one leather jacket and one heavy hoodie with him.
- Shoes: Two running shoes and one woodland boot for hiking and a pair of flip-flops.
- Accessories: He also carried two watches (in boxes), two sunglasses (in boxes), six pairs of underwear and four pairs of socks.
- Perfume and other toiletries: Two bottles of perfume, soap, trimmer and a 350ml bottle of shampoo.
- One MacBook Pro with charger
- One iPad mini with charger
- One iPhone 7s with charger
- One pair of headphone
- One Nikon D5300 camera
- One towel
- Two water bottles
- Pen and dairy
- One backpack cover: For protecting the bag from rain and dust.
So, it was his small list of items he carried in a 30L backpack comfortably for six months.
As Eric said, the small backpack made his journey easy.
So we hope now you can figure out how much you can carry in one.
Also, let us know in the comment box if you have any experience like this.
Is a 30L Backpack Perfect For You?
If you’re asking this question, then our answer is: We don’t know.
We can only tell you about a 30l backpack’s capacity, but we don’t know your exact circumstance.
But, you should have an idea of whether or not you can fit all you need into one of these backpacks now.
If you’re still undecided, check out these two points:
- If the size and measurement are right for your chest, then go for it.
- If your tour item’s checklist suits a 30L backpack, then you should get one.
For any hunter, traveler, or hiking lover who loves to go out with few items, a 30L backpack is a perfect option.
We saw people who are comfortable going hiking with a thirty-liter backpack for a week.
On the other side, we also saw people like Eric who is traveling with a 30L backpack for three months.
However, if you are an ultralight hiker or need to carry a large amount of equipment, a 30l backpack isn’t right for you.
And a 30-liter pack may be too much storage for short trips.
So, now the ball is in your court!
If you are wondering how big is a 30 liter backpack, let’s be clear that 30l backpack definitely isn’t a small one.
You can survive a week with one, or longer if you know how pack appropriately!
We tried our best to share all our knowledge and experiences with you.
In the end, we hope our advice helped you choose the right backpack for you.
Also, don’t forget to let us know your experiences in the comment section below!